Sunday, May 23, 2010

More grades and commenting

Films I watched recently (I have become a very lazy writer :p)






Some Like It Hot (1959)

Enjoyable but unspectacular.

7/10









A Woman Under the Influence (1974)

This film should be called "We're gonna make you uncomfortable but you're gonna like it".

Mental illness sucks! I had no idea how bad it sucks until I saw this movie. Not even Streetcar made me realise. You can have a totally nice and loving person and just wait what mental illness can do to him/her. It made this woman behave like a child at an age when that was a big problem. Healthy people can realise their bad habits and try to fix them. Rowlands' character was not able to understand what was wrong with her behavor. I felt sorry for her and the people around her. All I was thinking about was what a shame it was to have a problem like that. Thankfully, the movie pittied me and didn't leave me depressed but the thought that in many cases things end up much worse than in this film is certainly joyless.

I thought the movie succeeded in depicting a situation I'm sure many families have experienced and in making me understand how everyone must have felt.
Rowlands' performance was brilliant. I think that what she had to do was find what a normal person would do and then do the opposite. Difficult role but she nailed it.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment